Sunday, June 28, 2009

Chapter 1: An Introduction

 
I turned 25 a week and two days ago, and I guess you could say this blog is the result of my "quarter life crisis" (although I've always found that term odd, because honestly, how many people actually live to 100?) My grandfather, with whom I share my birthday, just turned 97, so I suppose he's pretty darn close, but other than that, I would say, not many. And since I don't actually share his genetics, I don't think that really helps me any.

But back to business: For the past year or so I've been thinking more and more about my goal of opening my own bakery/cafe, and realizing that I'm not even remotely on a track to do that. For those of you who don't know me I am a gardener on Nantucket, a lovely little island 26 miles south of Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Becoming a gardener was a very random thing to do. In the spring of 2007 I was working in the education department of the Nantucket Historical Association, my first real job after graduating in 2006 with a degree in Art History. Due to a variety of reasons and complications, I quit my job there in March, which is when gardeners were hiring, so that's what I decided to do. I'm now in my 3rd summer of gardening, which I do enjoy most of the time, although I don't really foresee myself doing it for much longer, which brings me back to the to the question of how do I own my own bakery/cafe. I know it won't happen soon, and it won't happen on Nantucket, since even in this economy things are ridiculously expensive, and I'm not exactly in the financial position to start a business. Oh, and I'm clueless!

So, while I figure out how to put myself on track for actually opening aforementioned bakery/cafe (including, but not limited to, learning how to bake en masse, open a business, and perhaps most importantly, where the heck I want to live after Nantucket), I thought I would start this blog just to get my ideas and favorite recipes down in writing as a reference for myself but also (hopefully!) for others to read and be inspired by. I anticipate that many of my postings will be about baked things, since that it my primary interest (and, to be honest, I'm much better at it than regular cooking!). However, I am pretty lazy, moderately health-conscious, rarely attempt anything complicated, and am restricted to a limited number of brands and specialty foods because of the whole living-on-an-island thing, so I think that this blog should serve as a reference for the other moderately skilled cooks/bakers out there who want fairly easy recipes that horribly unhealthy. I would love feedback from any readers that happen to stumble across this blog. Please let me know what you like and what you don't, so that can guide my cooking and writing.

Now that I've introduced myself and my ambitions for this blog, as they say on Iron Chef America: Allez cuisine!

1 comment:

  1. ahahahahah FIRST POST. I win. I have nothing to contribute but that I hope this blog blossoms and matures and leads to a book deal, a spot on the Food Network and then your very own bakery. Happy Inaugural posting!

    ReplyDelete